From: Richard Finegold [mailto:goldfndr (at) gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:32 PM
To: hobbit (at) hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] ifstat.mac.rrd question

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 05:46, McGraw, Robert P <rmcgraw (at) purdue.edu>
wrote:
> I am getting this error message in my rrd-data.log about every minute.
I looked in the archive about this and only found one entry that did not
provide much help.

> Also in the trends in the network traffic graph I see an interface
named "mac".

> 2010-02-15 08:41:35 RRD error updating
/local/xymon/data/rrd/gauss.math.purdue.edu/ifstat.mac.rrd from
128.210.3.205:
/local/xymon/data/rrd/gauss.math.purdue.edu/ifstat.mac.rrd: illegal
attempt to update using time 1266241295 when last update time is
1266241295 (minimum one second step)

> 1) what is the "mac" interface?
> 2) what is causing the above error and how can I prevent this?

If 128.210.3.205 is gauss then try running "ifconfig" (or equivalent)
on it, see what it says, see if "mac" is listed more than once. Are
there other ifstat rrds for gauss, or other hosts with the same OS?

hobbit-unsubscribe (at) hswn.dk