[Xymon] Trouble starting ext test to rrd, graph

Fabian Wendlandt fabian.wendlandt at innowerk-it.de
Tue Jul 6 19:02:18 CEST 2021

Hi Josh,

> Something odd I did notice was that the link to the graphs (which have no images, no rrd, etc) will say "No DS called 'inodecache' in 'unboundstats.rrd'".  What is the reference to inodecache?

I guess you took the graph definition from this guide (https://xymon.sourceforge.io/xymon/help/howtograph.html)?

        [slab]

               TITLE Slab info

               YAXIS Bytes

               DEF:inode=slab.rrd:inodecache:AVERAGE

               DEF:dentry=slab.rrd:dentrycache:AVERAGE

               LINE2:inode#00CCCC:Inode cache

               LINE2:dentry#FF0000:Dentry cache

               COMMENT:\n

               GPRINT:inode:LAST:Inode cache \: %5.1lf%s (cur)

               GPRINT:inode:MAX: \: %5.1lf%s (max)

               GPRINT:inode:MIN: \: %5.1lf%s (min)

               GPRINT:inode:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf%s (avg)\n

               GPRINT:dentry:LAST:Dentry cache\: %5.1lf%s (cur)

               GPRINT:dentry:MAX: \: %5.1lf%s (max)

               GPRINT:dentry:MIN: \: %5.1lf%s (min)

               GPRINT:dentry:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf%s (avg)\n

On the lines starting with ‘DEF’ you can see references to the data sources (DS) ‘inodecache’ and ‘dentrycache’, these will have different names in your case, e.g. ‘totalnumqueries’.

You can use the ‘rrdtool dump’ command to show the data sources contained in your rrd file, if I remember correctly some of your data sources will be truncated by Xymon, e.g. totalnumqueries_ip_ratelimited might be too long.

If you now what your DSs are called, you’ll have to edit the graph definition to reference the actual names, e.g.:

        [unboundstats]

               TITLE Unbound Stats

               YAXIS Num

               DEF:numqueries=unboundstats.rrd:totalnumqueries:AVERAGE

               DEF:numcachehits=unboundstats.rrd:totalnumcachehits:AVERAGE

               LINE2:numqueries#00CCCC:Total Queries

               LINE2:numcachehits#FF0000:Total Cache Hits

               COMMENT:\n

               GPRINT:numqueries:LAST:Inode cache \: %5.1lf%s (cur)

               GPRINT:numqueries:MAX: \: %5.1lf%s (max)

               GPRINT:numqueries:MIN: \: %5.1lf%s (min)

               GPRINT:numqueries:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf%s (avg)\n

               GPRINT:numcachehits:LAST:Dentry cache\: %5.1lf%s (cur)

               GPRINT:numcachehits:MAX: \: %5.1lf%s (max)

               GPRINT:numcachehits:MIN: \: %5.1lf%s (min)

               GPRINT:numcachehits:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf%s (avg)\n

You’ll need to define one DEF-line for each value you want to display on the graph (DEF:<Alias for further processing>=<rrd file name>:<data source name>:<consolidation function>).

Best regards,

Fabian