[Xymon] Frequent purple alerts

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Thu Aug 1 17:55:39 CEST 2019

You can tell xymon to use the IP address in the hosts.cfg file. Put testip in the comment section of that host. See the hosts.cfg man page.

From: Timothy Williams <tlwilliams4 at vcu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 10:02 AM
To: Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole at cairodurham.org>
Cc: Root, Paul T <Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com>; xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] Frequent purple alerts

I don't know about the DNS switching around, unless it is due to some DC synchronizing stuff, and one has a manual entry the other doesn't? Two ways to circumvent that is to use the IP in the Xymon Settings file <servers> tag ( I think that is what you said you did), or add the internal IP to the server HOSTS file; both of which requires future editing if the IP of the hostname gets changed.

I should have mentioned that I use the tag <clientlogretain>4</clientlogretain>  in my xymonclient_config.xml file to save multiple versions of the logs to give me some time to look at them and track changes from one file to another when I make a change.

Glad you are able to get it stable.

Tim Williams
VCU Computer Center