RE: [hobbit] monitoring patch status?

The way I get around it is to us WSUS and not Xymon. I monitor WSUS
periodically and print up a report. I can think of several ways of
getting Xymon (rather BBWin) doing this but they all involve some
scripting. Its not much use just checking for the last patch installed
because it does not mean that the previous ones have been installed.

The easiest way I can see to get it into Xymon is to check the folders
in the windows directory. The patches will leave a folder with the
uninstall information there. If the folder is there it means the install
of the patch at least nearly completed, it's likely but not %100 certain
that install completed.

You could script access to the WSUS database and pull up a report
automatically or trigger Xymon on the contents.

That last two is to check for the existence of the registry keys that
means it is installed or even better the date and size of the files them
selves. This can be scripted and the info passed to Xymon (BBWin).

With all these methods you need to have a list of the updates you want
to check for. This can be a long list and they all have to be there or
else a change to the installed windows components (e.g. add/remove DHCP)
could remove or require a previous update. WSUS does this for you
automatically but I haven't looked at how to give a status report to
Xymon

Hoe this helps

Graeme