RE: [hobbit] Nagios client, Hobbit server anyone?

Hi Henrik,

>>3. Write a program that acts like a Hobbit proxy server, listening on
>
>I've thought of that myself a couple of times - it would be useful if
Hobbit could make use of some of
> the Nagios modules ("plugins", in Nagios speak).
>
> But Nagios is very different from Hobbit. The network protocol used
between the Nagios server and the
> clients is not documented (at least, not anywhere that Google can find
for me), and it is also a "pull"
> type of protocol, where the Nagios server polls all of the clients to
pick up data.

> Doing a "pull" from the Hobbit server wouldn't be all that difficult,
but it would have to mimick the
> behaviour of the Nagios server. And since I haven't found anything
about how that works, it means digging
> into the Nagios server code and trying to figure it out from there. Or
setting up a Nagios system and doing
> network traces. Both would take more time than I'd like :-/

My thoughts were that this proxy server would do the pulling,
effectively mimicking the Nagios server,
 then push the data on to the Hobbit server in a similar way to your
bbproxy program. I had planned on
 cheating for the initial version. For those checks that use the NRPE
plug-in the proxy
 would simply run the check_nrpe program passing it the parameters
needed to execute the remote plug-in. It
 would then parse the return data and massage it into Hobbit-speak.

I took a look at the weekend but came up against a wall trying to
extract the relevant code from
 bbproxy. I think the issue I was having was that bbproxy is heavily
written to merge multiple packets from
 the client (combining) and send them on to the Hobbit server in one go.
I just needed something that told
 me what the format of a bbproxy data packet looked like and how to send
it to the main server.

Ah well, I will see if I can get access to a production Nagios server
(the one I am supposed to be replacing)
 and see what info I can get from that.

|\/|artin

The message is intended for the named addressee only and may not be disclosed to or used by anyone else, nor may it be copied in any way.

The contents of this message and its attachments are confidential and may also be subject to legal privilege.  If you are not the named addressee and/or have received this message in error, please advise us by e-mailing security (at) colt.net and delete the message and any attachments without retaining any copies.

Internet communications are not secure and COLT does not accept responsibility for this message, its contents nor responsibility for any viruses.

No contracts can be created or varied on behalf of COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or affiliates ("COLT") and any other party by email Communications unless expressly agreed in writing with such other party.

Please note that incoming emails will be automatically scanned to eliminate potential viruses and unsolicited promotional emails. For more information refer to www.colt.net or contact us on +44(0)20 7390 3900.