[Xymon] Cross compilation

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Mon Jun 3 01:11:30 CEST 2024

Hi Grant

The log monitoring only requires the logfetch binary, which does three
things: fetch the logs since the last time (and keep track of log file
position), fetch file/dir status (permissions, ownership, hash if
configured), and get the date and time of the client. You don't need
xymonlaunch for monitoring logs. Although, if running in central mode, you
do need to capture the output of the xymon command that sends the client
data message to the server, and save it to a file, because that's the
config file for logfetch.

I re-implemented the logfetch behaviour in my xymon-rcient.sh script (see
Xymonton), consisting of about 3 functions and a bit of wrapper code, so
it's possible to do without the binary if that option seems useful.

Alternatives for xymonlaunch are:
- run xymonclient.sh from cron (perhaps via flock, or similar behaviour to
ensure you don't ever get a backlog of client instantiations consuming
system resources)
- run via ssh from Xymon server to client, like:

TMP=`mktemp`; echo "$MACHINE.$OSTYPE" > "$TMP" && ssh $MACHINE
~xymon/client/bin/xymonclient.sh && $XYMON 127.1 @ < "$TMP" >/dev/null; rm
-f "$TMP"

(untested; also could do with flock or similar)

This can be run from a script launched by xymonlaunch on the Xymon server,
rather than requiring a launcher on the client.

Cheers
Jeremy