[Xymon] Server migration

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Tue Apr 12 01:44:04 CEST 2022

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 at 06:33, Ricardo Stella <stella at rider.edu> wrote:

> No problems in missing some client data. I guess I could set up the new
> one to make sure everything works, then move the real data and change IPs?

That's what I'd do. But I've never actually had to do an in-place upgrade.

> Reason for testing is that this old box was upgraded from hobbit and even
> from BB. Some clients are hobbit versions using bb structure. I've set BB
> up eons ago, then a few admins took over. Positions cut, now it's back on
> my belt.

BB is going back a very long way! You must have some ancient hardware. Do
you have an increasingly high device failure rate?

If you had all new Xymon or Hobbit clients, the safest thing would be to
have them report to two servers. Then you can copy all the data across to
the new server, and see how it goes. If it doesn't work quite right, and
you need to tweak a few things, the data is still being updated on the old
server, so you haven't lost anything. You can wipe the data from the new
server and try again.

However, I have a feeling that BB clients cannot be configured to report to
more than one server. But it's been literally decades since I had to deal
with a BB client, so you might want to check this. Or, see about updating
all of your clients to Xymon clients.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 2:10 PM Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com>
>> wrote:
>>
> How critical is it that you have every last report?  Clients only report
>> back every 10 minutes, so if you can migrate in 5-15 minutes you'll in the
>> worst case lose one report.

I'm pretty sure the clients report back every 5 minutes, by default. The
original clientlaunch.cfg [client] section:

[client]
ENVFILE $XYMONCLIENTHOME/etc/xymonclient.cfg
CMD $XYMONCLIENTHOME/bin/xymonclient.sh @CLIENTFLAGS@
LOGFILE $XYMONCLIENTLOGS/xymonclient.log
INTERVAL 5m
sets the INTERVAL to 5 minutes.

Nevertheless, even 5 minutes is likely to be enough to run a final rsync
job, to synchronise the latest updated history/rrd files.

However, just be aware that you might need to do some RRD file conversion.
There were some changes in the format of RRD files somewhere along the way.
You might need to do an export/import process for each one.