[Xymon] Xymon Dependancies configuration.

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 13:40:30 CEST 2020

On 03/06/2020 22:49, me at tdiehl.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure xymon dependencies so that if the core router
> is down
> my xymon server only pages me for the core router.
>
> In reading the man page it says to do something like the following:
>
> 1.2.3.4 cg1.example.com # noconn https://cg1.example.com
> depends=(http:router.example.com/conn)
>
> The above works for a single service but the above host for example has
> http and sslcert. How can I tell xymon that if router.example.com is
> down all
> of the other services for a host should go clear?
>
> I tried setting the service to a * that does not work. and I tried listing
> services separated with either a comma or a pipe but no joy.

"man hosts.cfg" suggests that the syntax you want is

depends=(testA:host1/test1,host2/test2),(testB:host3/test3)

so for your example,

depends=(http:router.example.com/conn),(sslcert:router.example.com/conn)

As the man page says, "depends" only applies to tests performed by
xymonnet. Wildcards do not appear to be supported but protocols.cfg will
show you most of the tests that xymonnet might perform.

> Also is there a way to test the syntax to know if I got it right short of
> waiting for 5 or 10 minutes to see if it worked?

Because the tests are performed by xymonnet, you can just ran that
command yourself. Your tasks.cfg will show you the xymonnet command
you're currently running, so something like

xymonnet $(list_of_options) cg1.example.com router.example.com

will test just those two hosts. (NB xymonnet might not be on your path
so you may need to explicitly use the full path to the binary) You could
add --no-update to have xymonnet dump messages to stdout rather than
sending the status message to your xymon server if you prefer.

Adam