[Xymon] Xymon Dependancies configuration.

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Thu Jun 4 21:36:26 CEST 2020

Hi,

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020, Adam Thorn wrote:

> On 03/06/2020 22:49, me at tdiehl.org wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I am trying to configure xymon dependencies so that if the core router is
>>  down
>>  my xymon server only pages me for the core router.
>>
>>  In reading the man page it says to do something like the following:
>>
>>  1.2.3.4 cg1.example.com # noconn https://cg1.example.com
>>  depends=(http:router.example.com/conn)
>>
>>  The above works for a single service but the above host for example has
>>  http and sslcert. How can I tell xymon that if router.example.com is down
>>  all
>>  of the other services for a host should go clear?
>>
>>  I tried setting the service to a * that does not work. and I tried listing
>>  services separated with either a comma or a pipe but no joy.
>
> "man hosts.cfg" suggests that the syntax you want is
>
> depends=(testA:host1/test1,host2/test2),(testB:host3/test3)
>
> so for your example,
>
> depends=(http:router.example.com/conn),(sslcert:router.example.com/conn)

That does not work for the sslcert test but does work for things like ssh.
Which now makes sense given the info below.

> As the man page says, "depends" only applies to tests performed by xymonnet.
> Wildcards do not appear to be supported but protocols.cfg will show you most
> of the tests that xymonnet might perform.

Ok, that explains why the neither the conn or sslcert test will not go clear.
Neither test is listed in protocols.cfg. Given that both of these tests are
network type tests it seems odd that they cannot be made to go clear on
failure of another network test. I guess I do not really understand how
Xymon works.

I was really hoping to be able to get a single alert when the router went
down. It does not happen real often but it is a pita to get several hundred
text messages for what is really a single failure.

Does anyone have a solution for these kinds of failures?

Tom			me at tdiehl.org