[Xymon] Merging some add-ons into Xymon source code

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Mar 26 21:32:09 CET 2019

On 3/26/2019 12:06 PM, John Thurston wrote:
> Does the procmem add-on not work just fine as is?
> Is it just the configuration-point which is annoying you?

I was looking at how something like this could be added in as well, but
it'll be a bit of effort to convert it into the existing C testing loop.

It's definitely very useful as an add-on, though.

>> Another example is Xymondash:
>
> Oh please, no.    Read my sig.
>
> If I wanted a json xml javascript monster, I'd select from the myriad
> of commercial products out there. We've run xymon/bb since the dawn of
> time. In the last twenty years, several other monster products have
> been brought in to "improve the look and feel" of our monitoring. All
> have died an early death, leaving our simple xymon server doing its
> duty and displaying its results.

I think there's a lot to like in xymondash, but for the moment cleaning
up the existing interface and making most usable to users and add-ons
would be the priority.

Adding JSON output to xymondxboard (xymondjboard?) should be considered
a priority, however. That would probably aid in interoperation.

Regards,

-jc