[Xymon] Merging some add-ons into Xymon source code

SebA spah at syntec.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 21:37:07 CET 2019

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 19:52, John Thurston <john.thurston at alaska.gov>
wrote:

> Does the procmem add-on not work just fine as is?
> Is it just the configuration-point which is annoying you?

Like I said, I haven't tried it, but it does something that  I think should
be part of Xymon - process memory monitoring - and the way it does it is
not very 'xymonish' - the xymonish way to configure thresholds is in
analysis.cfg, not in hosts.cfg.

--
>     Do things because you should, not just because you can.
>
> John Thurston    907-465-8591
> John.Thurston at alaska.gov
> Department of Administration
> State of Alaska

Those were just 2 semi-random examples, another is probably calculation of
CPU load thresholds based off the number of reported processors:
https://wiki.xymonton.org/doku.php/monitors:cpu-load-calc
Something _like_ this should be in Xymon, because otherwise the default CPU
load thresholds are more or less meaningless and have to be configured for
each server class / function intersection.  But it should be in the core
code, not a shell script that operates differently and independently of the
core CPU calculation code.

For things that <40% users don't want, they shouldn't be integrated - I'm
with you on that John - and what I suggested about Xymondash being more
like a suggested optional package is maybe a middle-ground.  But if the
core function is something >40% users would want, then the feature should
be integrated, because it lowers the barriers to entry for users and adds
to the core feature list / reduces the core annoyance list.  I've not tried
any of these 3 add-ons because they are add-ons, and because the desire for
them is relatively recent or intermittent, but I would have implemented
them if they were part of the core package.  (I've tried other add-ons of
course, and created a few of my own over the years.)

Kind regards,

SebA