[Xymon] Conn/Ping Test/Graph to Secondary (Backup) IP

Galen Johnson solitaryr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 03:56:53 CET 2017

Is there anything in the xymon rrd log?  Have you set up the NCV pieces in
the configs?  For example, I have a test that looks at the thread count for
an internal service...I have a file under /etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg.d
named after the test (probably not required but helps keep the associations
clear)...I have the following in the file:

GRAPHS_threads="threads"

TEST2RRD+=",threads=ncv"

SPLITNCV_threads="*:NONE,total:GAUGE,consumed:GAUGE"

I prefer splitncv to make xymon split the rrd data into multiple individual
files.  The output in the test that drives the graph detail is:

# Tell Xymon about it

$XYMON $XYMSRV "status $MACHINE.$COLUMN $COLOR $TIMESTAMP

${MSG}
<!--
pctutil: ${THREAD_UTIL}
total: ${TOTAL_THREADS}
consumed: ${THREADS_CONSUMED}
-->

Summary
---------
${COMPONENT} - $THREAD_UTIL% threads used

Details
---------
${STATS_nocolon}
"

the content with the 'var:  is what contains the data to be tracked in
rrd.  It's not clear from the snippet you provided that your message
contains this or if it's being sent across a different channel (I'm
guessing not).  Basically, Xymon may not even know it has data to collect
since it's not being put in a format it expects.  IIRC, it should parse
either "var: value" and "var=value".

=G=

note: there is also a graph definition in /etcxymon/graphs.d
PPS: I'm using the terabithia rpms as well
PPPS: getting the user defined graphs working the way you want can be
tricky...I almost always have to go rooting through the archives.