[Xymon] Conn/Ping Test/Graph to Secondary (Backup) IP

Scott Driemeier-Showers sshowers at negwer.com
Mon Dec 18 19:32:10 CET 2017

Good afternoon,

Having just upgraded from Xymon 4.2.3 on CentOS 5.11, our environment is now Xymon 4.3.28-1.el7.terabithia on CentOS 7.4.

We have a group of systems defined that monitors (via conn/ping) the internal interface of the primary router at each of our remote offices to tell us whether or not the connection is up.  Each office also has a secondary/backup network connection that is used for load balancing, VoIP, and failover.

In order to see each site as a single row on the web page we wrote a client-side extension to ping the backup router's internal interface.  The monitoring, display, and alerting all work like we'd hoped (and has for a long time).  Unlike the primary connection's monitor, however, the backup connection is not creating a RRD file so can't be graphed.  I am trying to fix that, and have been looking at the help page for setting up a custom graph but I can't seem to connect the dots properly.

The key logic from /etc/xymon-client/ext/voiptest.sh are:

##
## Logic to build remote site list happens first
##

foreach my $voipsvr (@rmt_names) {

     $color = GREEN;
     $status = $bbtest . " ok";
     $DATA = "";

     ##
     ## Logic to determine secondary IP from primary IP happens here
     ##

     my ($voipip, $svrname, $junk) = split(/:/, $voipsvr, 3);
     my $pingres = `/usr/sbin/fping -Ae $voipip`;
     $DATA .= $pingres;

     if ($pingres =~ "unreachable") {
        $color = RED;
        $status = $bbtest . " NOT ok"
     }

     ## Send to Hobbit
    my $report_date = `/bin/date`;
     chomp($report_date);
     system("$ENV{XYMON} $ENV{XYMSRV} 'status $svrname.voip $color $report_date - $status\n\n$DATA'\n");
}

Could anybody point me in the right direction to get the RRD graph for each secondary TCP/Ping test to work?

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. -- The log/graph wasn't working prior to the upgrade either.  We just upgraded first to make sure our environment was current...
P.P.S. -- We may have set this test up incorrectly, so please feel free to teach us if there is a better way to have done it...