[Xymon] Conn/Ping Test/Graph to Secondary (Backup) IP

Scott Driemeier-Showers sshowers at negwer.com
Tue Dec 19 23:42:29 CET 2017

I have been attempting to use the “standard” tcp (conn) tests and pre-defined graphs, rather than building something “custom”.

In /etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg I added:

TEST2RRD=” … ,voip=tcp”
GRAPHS=” … ,voip”

I did not configure it to use NCV as I understood, based on my reading online, that was only necessary with output formatted as colon-separated “columnar” data.  Since this test runs a simple fping the output looks like this:

10.10.16.251 is alive (25.8 ms)

I rewrote the script yesterday as a shell script (no perl).  Here’s the entire thing:

#!/bin/sh

COLUMN=voip
for RMT in `cat /etc/xymon/hosts.cfg | egrep "vya|tal" | tr -s ' ' | cut -d" " -f1,2 --output-delimiter=,`
do
   ADDR=`echo $RMT | awk -F, '{print $1}'`
   SITE=`echo $RMT | awk -F, '{print $2}'`
   RSLT=ok
   STAT=green
   VOIP=${ADDR/192.168/10.10}
   VOIP=${VOIP/.5./.6.}
   SRVR=${SITE//./,}
   DATA=`/usr/sbin/fping -Ae $VOIP`

   if [[ $DATA == *"unreachable"* ]]
   then
      RSLT="NOT ok"
      STAT=red
   fi
   MESG="Service $COLUMN on $SITE is $RSLT"

   # Results to Xymon
   #echo $ADDR $SRVR $DATA $STAT $MESG
   $XYMON $XYMSRV "status $SRVR.$COLUMN $STAT `date +"%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %Y"` $COLUMN $RSLT

${MESG}

${DATA}
"
done

exit 0

Unfortunately no, the RRD log files are not being created either – so it looks like I’ve missed some critical steps there too.

Thanks,
Scott