[Xymon] Process needs restart monitor

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Sat Jul 2 02:58:51 CEST 2016

On 22 June 2016 at 02:02, Robert Herron <robert.herron at gmail.com> wrote:

> My Google-fu of the maillist archive is weak and I didn't see anything
> relevant on Xymonton.
>
> I have a job pool that is restarted weekly via cron if no jobs are
> running.  I would like to be alerted if its process start time is more than
> 2 weeks ago.
>
> Is there a native way to alert that a process hasn't has been running too
> long?  Sort of like the analysis.cfg "UP" check but for a process.

There's nothing out-of-the-box, but the [ps] section of the client data for
many systems shows the "STARTED" column, and could be parsed for the start
time of your process, such as in a server-side script that did like so:

$XYMON $XYMSRV "clientlog $HN section=ps"

Example output can be seen here:

https://www.xymon.org/xymon-cgi/svcstatus.sh?CLIENT=claudio.hswn.dk&section=ps

Note that not all operating systems have the same "ps" output and so this
technique might only work for some servers.

Hmm, my new xymon-procmem utility uses this very technique to alert on
memory hogs.  It wouldn't take a lot to have it do the same for start time,
although parsing different time/date formats could be challenging to do in
an OS-agnostic way (that is, so that it can run on all/most POSIX Xymon
servers).

Cheers
Jeremy