[Xymon] Strange Ghost report

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Sat Jul 2 03:06:09 CEST 2016

On 27 April 2016 at 11:14, Colin Coe <colin.coe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've got a ghost report coming up with the IP and "Candidate" of the Xymon
> server and a "Hostname" of a CNAME belonging to a another server.  I've
> checked this other server and its Xymon client settings are correct and its
> correctly showing on the appropriate Xymon page.
>
> How can I get more detail of this ghost report, like the client data?

I suppose you need to find out where the ghost data comes from.  Xymon
messages can come from the xymon client, the xymon server, some ext script
on either client or server, or any other host with an IP address in
hosts.cfg.

I /think/ that the IP in the ghosts report will be the actual IP of where
the message came from, but might not be, I'm not sure.

Are there any status pages that are missing or purple or clear?  That might
indicate where the report is coming from.

What you could do is run a xymond_channel process on a suspect channel,
searching for the relevant hostname.  Then check out the accompanying
message body and try to work out what's responsible.