[Xymon] Xymon v5 readiness

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed May 28 05:50:04 CEST 2014

Henrik

I'm working on the imminent deployment of some new monitoring servers,
perhaps within the next 2 months.  For this roll-out, IPv6 is on the list
of highly-desirable features.  While Xymon v4.x has an extensive feature
list, I'm prepared to live with more basic functionality for some time, if
it's reliable enough on the core features (disk/mem/cpu client reporting to
central mode servers, ping and some simple network tests).  If we can bring
online a range of more advance features that are present in 4.x, in the
next 6 months, then that would be acceptable.  As we'll have redundant
(independent) Xymon servers, we'll be able to do some beta testing on one
of the servers.

Would you recommend I stick with v4.x, or is the v5.x (trunk) reliable
enough in its core feature set to be worth a little extra potential pain
for a little while?  Or perhaps hedge bets and use v5.x on only one of the
Xymon servers?

Can anyone report on their experiences with v5.x?

Cheers
Jeremy