[Xymon] Xymon v5 readiness

Christian Herzog herzog at phys.ethz.ch
Wed May 28 07:24:21 CEST 2014

Good morning all,

we're pretty much in the same situation: in dire need of a IPv6 capable
monitoring solution and waiting for v5.
I extensively tested xymon-4.3.99-20130812 and it worked pretty well. The only
faulty test was LDAP. It's also considerably faster than 4.3.x, so we'd be
happy to deploy anytime now. Since then there's been talk of a xymonnet
rewrite, but I don't know the status and I'm not aware of any more recent
test versions.

HTH,
-Christian

  On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 01:50:04PM +1000, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> Henrik
>
> I'm working on the imminent deployment of some new monitoring servers,
> perhaps within the next 2 months.  For this roll-out, IPv6 is on the list
> of highly-desirable features.  While Xymon v4.x has an extensive feature
> list, I'm prepared to live with more basic functionality for some time, if
> it's reliable enough on the core features (disk/mem/cpu client reporting to
> central mode servers, ping and some simple network tests).  If we can bring
> online a range of more advance features that are present in 4.x, in the
> next 6 months, then that would be acceptable.  As we'll have redundant
> (independent) Xymon servers, we'll be able to do some beta testing on one
> of the servers.
>
> Would you recommend I stick with v4.x, or is the v5.x (trunk) reliable
> enough in its core feature set to be worth a little extra potential pain
> for a little while?  Or perhaps hedge bets and use v5.x on only one of the
> Xymon servers?
>
> Can anyone report on their experiences with v5.x?
>
> Cheers
> Jeremy

Dr. Christian Herzog <herzog at phys.ethz.ch>  support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 8                    voice: +41 44 633 39 50
Department of Physics, ETH Zurich
8093 Zurich, Switzerland                     http://nic.phys.ethz.ch/