[hobbit] conn alerts based on ping time

Jeff Newman jeffnewman75 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 22:12:06 CET 2006

Really, honestly, im not trying to belabor a point here, but you need to be
careful as the ping only runs every 5 minutes, so even if you could get this
alerting to work, the link would have to be slow during a ping cycle. So it
could possible be slow for 4 minutes, recover, and the page wouldn't happen,
as the ping time would be ok. Assuming the client saw the slowness during
those 4 minutes via other methods, they would then question why hobbit
didn't see it.

Same thing hapens to me with spikes in network traffic between polling
periods, I don't see them.

With MRTG, you can shorten the time to 1 minute. MRTG integration with
hobbit isn't too hard, so thats probably the route you should go.

-Jeff