Off on a tangent ([hobbit] conn alerts based on ping time)

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Fri Jan 13 22:59:06 CET 2006

Jeff,

That's a very good point. Do you know if anyone has documented setting
up MRTG with Hobbit?  I searched the mailing list archives and didn't
find anything concise.

I will probably end up recommending and implementing the MRTG solution,
but I still think it should be trivial for hobbit to alert on the ping
response, since it already collects that data. I guess a real solution
would be for hobbit to come with an MRTG module "out of the box" so that
users didn't have to delve into the knowledgebase and/or depend on
places like deadcat to find and provide the functionality they need.

I myself don't mind using external scripts and having to tinker with
something to get it to work the way I want, but its hard enough to sell
management on Hobbit over commercial and well known tools like Nagios,
without having to reveal that you need to spend a day downloading
external scripts and making them work in order to get the functionality
that they expect (and that they think that the commercial tools already
have).

I believe that a well-setup hobbit monitor is superior to Nagios and
other tools I have tested and been forced to use over the years. But the
fact that a lot of the application-specific monitoring (mysql, oracle,
postgres, etc), as well as traffic monitoring (MRTG) is handled by
third-party scripts that you have to meld into your server probably
scares away a lot of people, especially management types who have
security folks whispering in their ear to never trust third-party
modules and especially not code written by "joe-user from some website"
(a manager actually said that to me once).  As of yet Hobbit does not
even have a fully functional client (no logfile parsing), so we have to
use either the bb-client or the bb-msgs script....more third party plugins.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I guess what I'm saying is I
would like to see Hobbit come with built-in support for monitoring
common applications and services (besides the basics). It's already
partway there as Hobbit can natively check things like mysql, but what
about postgres, oracle?

Henrik is a busy guy I am sure, and he probably doesn't get much
compensation for all the fine work he does on Hobbit, nor does he ask
for any (I did buy him one of his wishlist items, I hope others do as
well). As far as I know, Henrik has nobody helping him, except for
seeing him mention someone was working on a new Hobbit client. Maybe
what we need is more people to roll up their sleeves and write some
modules that are compatible with hobbit with little or no tweaking.
Sadly I'm no C/C++ guru, but I am pretty good with Perl :-)

I think also perhaps we need an "official" repository of scripts that
work with Hobbit, so when someone needs an addon, they can grab an
already Hobbit-ized one, instead of going to deadcat and getting a
script to hack on. Also a Wiki might be handy, so that Hobbit users can
easily share and update information on various Hobbit setups and problems.

Okay, I have written WAY more than I intended here, I'm so far off topic
now that I will edit the subject line as a warning :)

-Charles