[hobbit] conn alerts based on ping time

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Fri Jan 13 19:26:28 CET 2006

Deal, Richard wrote:

> Sounds like they need to through in MRTG and go red when the traffic
> is high on the link.
>
> And then throw in things like
>
> bb-ospf.pl to check that ospf is not flapping over the link
>
> bb-xsnmp.pl to check out the routers at each end and the interfaces

Yeah I'm aware of the existance of bb-mrtg.pl, although I have never set
it up.  I guess I was hoping that Hobbit could natively support ping
testing rather than having to install mrtg and hack stuff in.  Its sort
of confusing for a newbie when you are showing them the ropes of Hobbit
and start bringing external scripts into the mix (especially ones that
require modifying before they will work).

> you can also use http to a reliable server on the remote side as part
> of the link test.  Just make the http test for the link dependent on
> the router and the conn test to the web server.

That won't work in this case as all of the companies servers are in a
CoLo, Hobbit is running at the CoLo, and they want to test the T1 link
at the office from the CoLo (there are no servers on the other side of
the office T1 to do a test against), and even if there was, it still
would not give them a heads-up to the T1 being slow/saturated, as Hobbit
only alerts when the conn test outright fails.

-Charles