[hobbit] Hobbit Chart & Time based monitoring

Thomas tlp-hobbit at holme-pedersen.dk
Thu Sep 29 09:55:37 CEST 2005

In the manpage I found the following that maybe could help you with
regards to then time problem. Pie charts is possible if you export the
data as a CVS file and then create the pie charts in you favorite calcsheet.

    SLA REPORTING

bbgen reporting allows for the generation of true SLA (Service Level
Agreement) reports, also for service periods that are not 24x7. This is
enabled by defining a "REPORTTIME:timespec" tag for the hosts to define
the service period, and optionally a "WARNPCT:level" tag to define the
agreed availability.

Note: See /bb-hosts
<http://hobbit.lu.mach.com/help/manpages/man5/bb-hosts.5.html>(5)/ for
the exact syntax of these options.

"REPORTTIME:timespec" specifies the time of day when the service is
expected to be up and running. By default this is 24 hours a day, all
days of the week. If your SLA only covers Mon-Fri 7am - 8pm, you define
this as "REPORTTIME=W:0700:2000", and the report generator will then
compute both the normal 24x7 availability but also a "SLA availability"
which only takes the status of the host during the SLA period into account.

The DOWNTIME:timespec parameter affects the SLA availability
calculation. If an outage occurs during the time defined as possible
"DOWNTIME", then the failure is reported with a status of "blue". (The
same color is used if you "disable" then host using the Hobbit "disable"
function). The time when the test status is "blue" is not included in
the SLA calculation, neither in the amount of time where the host is
considered down, nor in the total amount of time that the report covers.
So "blue" time is effectively ignored by the SLA availability
calculation, allowing you to have planned downtime without affecting the
reported SLA availability.

Example: A host has "DOWNTIME:*:0700:0730 REPORTTIME=W:0600:2200"
because it is rebooted every day between 7am and 7.30am, but the service
must be available from 6am to 10pm. For the day of the report, it was
down from 7:10am to 7:15am (the planned reboot), but also from 9:53pm to
10:15pm. So the events for the day are:

   0700 : green for 10 minutes (600 seconds)
   0710 : blue for 5 minutes (300 seconds)
   0715 : green for 14 hours 38 minutes (52680 seconds)
   2153 : red for 22 minutes (1320 seconds)
   2215 : green

The service is available for 600+52680 = 53280 seconds. It is down (red)
for 420 seconds (the time from 21:53 until 22:00 when the SLA period
ends). The total time included in the report is 15 hours (7am - 10pm)
except the 5 minutes blue = 53700 seconds. So the SLA availability is
53280/53700 = 99,22%

The "WARNPCT:level" tag is supported in the bb-hosts file, to set the
availability threshold on a host-by-host basis. This threshold
determines whether a test is reported as green, yellow or red in the
reports. A default value can be set for all hosts with the via the
BBREPWARN environment variable, but overridden by this tag. The level is
given as a percentage, e.g. "WARNPCT:98.5"