[hobbit] writing to /usr?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jul 26 07:31:39 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 05:42:20PM -0500, Daniel J McDonald wrote:

> Sure enough, /usr/lib/hobbit/client/tmp was not writable by the hobbit
> user.  But, shouldn't things like that be written to /var instead
> of /usr?

Ideally, yes. But to simplify the installation the client I
decided to just keep everything below the client/ directory
by default - including the tmp/ and logs/ directories.

> Of course, now that it can write things, it's complaining about
> something else (can't read the /proc directory, since I run Mandriva in
> paranoid mode....)

For getting stats from a Linux box, you really need access to
the /proc directory. Most of the standard tools collect their
information there.