writing to /usr?

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jul 26 00:42:20 CEST 2005

I installed hobbit 4.1.1, saw that it was working, and ignored it for a
few hours...  Then I saw purples for the client tests..

checking /var/log/hobbit/hobbitclient.log showed:

/usr/lib/hobbit/client/bin/hobbitclient.sh: line
17: /usr/lib/hobbit/client/tmp/msg.txt: Permission denied
/usr/lib/hobbit/client/bin/hobbitclient.sh: line
18: /usr/lib/hobbit/client/tmp/msg.txt: Permission denied
/usr/lib/hobbit/client/bin/hobbitclient.sh: line
19: /usr/lib/hobbit/client/tmp/msg.txt: No such file or directory

Sure enough, /usr/lib/hobbit/client/tmp was not writable by the hobbit
user.  But, shouldn't things like that be written to /var instead
of /usr?

Of course, now that it can write things, it's complaining about
something else (can't read the /proc directory, since I run Mandriva in
paranoid mode....)

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com