[Xymon] Trouble With Alert Format

Jonathan Bishop jstk888 at outlook.com
Fri May 6 05:02:55 CEST 2022

Hello all,

Thank you for your responses. You have highlighted to me that firstly, I lacked a proper understanding of how mime types and mime headers work in email, and secondly that the mail utility on RHEL 7 doesn't support changing mime types!

To work around the problem, I borrowed Kris's script and used sendmail to send the email instead. I then set manually the "Content-Type" header to "text/html". Below is an example of something that works for me on RHEL7.

Another question on xymon alerts... what is the significance of the ampersand in "&red" in an alert message?

Regards,
Jonathan

#!/bin/sh

NOTICE=`echo "$BBALPHAMSG" | grep -c INFO`

if [ $RECOVERED -eq 1 ];
then
        echo -e "To: $RCPT\nSubject: $BBSVCNAME on $BBHOSTNAME is Recovered\nContent-Type: text/html\n
<b>HTML HERE</b>
elif [ $NOTICE -gt 0 ];
then
        echo -e "To: $RCPT\nSubject: $BBSVCNAME on $BBHOSTNAME - Notice\nContent-Type: text/html\n
<b>HTML HERE</b>
" | sendmail -f monitoring at whocares.com -t
else
        echo -e "To: $RCPT\nSubject: $BBSVCNAME on $BBHOSTNAME is $BBCOLORLEVEL\nContent-Type: text/html\n
<b>HTML HERE</b>
" | sendmail -f monitoring at whocares.com. -t
fi