False positives for applet.py (system-config-printer)

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Sat Aug 20 13:03:17 CEST 2022

Hi folks,

Our virtual workstations run CUPS along with the
"system-config-printer" package, which provides a "graphical interface
to configure the printing system." Unfortunately, Xymon keeps
reporting false-positives for this package, in particular for lines
involving this one python script:

   /usr/bin/python3 /usr/share/system-config-printer/applet.py

Xymon often erroneously reports that such processes have "libs linked
that were upgraded", even though no upgrades have taken place. Also,
there may be multiple reports of this per user and per session, and
these will persist even after the user has logged out.

Can anyone explain how to prevent these false positives? I imagine the
solution will involve creating  /etc/xymon/libs.local.yaml with a few
lines added to it.

Our virtual workstations run Debian 11.4 (Bullseye) with Xfce 4.16,
cups 2.3.3op2-3+deb11u2, system-config-printer 1.5.14-1, xrdp
0.9.12-1.1 and xymon-client 4.3.30-1. The xymon server is also runs
version 4.3.30-1 on top of Debian 11.4.

Thanks,

Jaap