[Xymon] Gaps in graphs

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed Mar 10 11:02:35 CET 2021

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 19:02, Carl Melgaard <Carl.Melgaard at stab.rm.dk>
wrote:

> >$ pgrep -lf vmstat
>
> >8304 sh -c vmstat 300 2
> 1>/usr/lib/xymon/client/tmp/xymon_vmstat.<servername>.8252 2>&1; mv
> /usr/lib/xymon/client/tmp/xymon_vmstat.<servername>.8252
> /usr/lib/xymon/client/tmp/xymon_vmstat.<servername>
>
> >8306 vmstat 300 2
>

> $ps –ef |grep vmstat
>

> xymon    14896 14893  0 08:50 ?        00:00:00 vmstat 300 2
>
> xymon    14904 14898  0 08:50 ?        00:00:00 vmstat 300 2
>

> I noticed these 2 running, and couldnt figure out how both were spawned.
> Maybe I should “DISABLED” the client-part in clientlaunch.cfg – I see now
> that theres actually a xymonclient-part in tasks.cfg… There we have the 2
> instances!

Yes, that'd be it. Disable one of those.

The clientlaunch.cfg file comments say:

# Note: On the Xymon *server* itself, this file is normally
#       NOT used. Instead, both the client- and server-tasks
#       are controlled by the tasks.cfg file.

On a client, the clientlaunch.cfg file is loaded by
/usr/lib/xymon/*client*/bin/xymonlaunch
(note the "client" rather than the "server" in the path). The client
instance has "--config=/usr/lib/xymon/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg" as a
parameter, to use the contents of that file. It's not usual for this
instance of xymonlaunch to run on a Xymon server.

Your symptoms suggest that you have a client instance "xymonlaunch
--config=...client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg" as well as the server instance.
However your "ps -ef|grep xymonlaunch" only shows one. So I'm puzzled how
the clientlaunch.cfg file is being processed.

I guess I’ll try that J Thanks for pointing me right at the answer! Now I
> just have to figure out, why the new server is eating up 10 times more RAM
> than the old server, with the same amount of hosts monitored.

I note that you've moved quite a few OS iterations from CentOS 5 to RHEL 7.
The kernel memory management is likely to be a bit different. You might
find that the extra RAM usage is simply taken up by kernel buffers and
cache, so isn't really "in use" in the traditional sense.

Cheers
Jeremy