[Xymon] Gaps in graphs

Carl Melgaard Carl.Melgaard at STAB.RM.DK
Wed Mar 10 09:01:53 CET 2021

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 at 18:47, Carl Melgaard <Carl.Melgaard at stab.rm.dk<mailto:Carl.Melgaard at stab.rm.dk>> wrote:

I have 2 Xymon servers, 1 primary and 1 secondary. The primary distributes to the secondary. Only the secondary is updated as of yet.
|It makes sense to have two for redundancy. Have you thought about configuring both Xymon servers in each client? That way, if the primary goes down, the secondary will still receive updates. (This has nothing to do with diagnosing the gaps in your graphs, I'm just curious.)

Yeah, I already do this on all my xymon clients.

Also in xymonclient.log I get these quite alot, dunno if its related:

mv: cannot stat '/dev/shm/logfetch.x.cfg.tmp': No such file or directory
cat: /dev/shm/xymon_vmstat.x: No such file or directory
cat: /dev/shm/xymon_vmstat.x: No such file or directory
>Do you only see these on the Xymon server, or these log messages also showing on Xymon clients? And if so, at what frequency?

I don’t see them anywhere than on the updated Xymon-server.

623 lines in the logfile yesterday.
>That's roughly 2 every 5-minute interval. That's significant.
>Can you show me the output of the following commands. I'm running this on one of my Xymon servers (using Terabithia RPMs) to show what you might expect:
>$ pgrep -lf xymonlaunch
>16602 /usr/lib/xymon/server/bin/xymonlaunch --config=/usr/lib/xymon/server/etc/tasks.cfg --env=/usr/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg --log=/var/log/xymon/xymonlaunch.log --pidfile=/var/log/xymon/xymonlaunch.pid

$ ps –ef|grep xymonlaunch
xymon     1084     1  0 Jan19 ?        00:01:24 /usr/sbin/xymonlaunch --no-daemon --log=/var/log/xymon/xymonlaunch.log

>$ pgrep -lf vmstat
>8306 vmstat 300 2

$ps –ef |grep vmstat

xymon    14896 14893  0 08:50 ?        00:00:00 vmstat 300 2
xymon    14904 14898  0 08:50 ?        00:00:00 vmstat 300 2

I noticed these 2 running, and couldnt figure out how both were spawned. Maybe I should “DISABLED” the client-part in clientlaunch.cfg – I see now that theres actually a xymonclient-part in tasks.cfg… There we have the 2 instances!

I guess I’ll try that ☺ Thanks for pointing me right at the answer! Now I just have to figure out, why the new server is eating up 10 times more RAM than the old server, with the same amount of hosts monitored.

Regards,

Carl