[Xymon] Trouble starting ext test to rrd, graph

Josh Luthman josh at imaginenetworksllc.com
Fri Jul 9 16:13:14 CEST 2021

In case anyone else would like to do this or would appreciate an example (I
know I sure would have :) I wrote this page:

http://ram.iam8up.com/?p=72

Josh Luthman
24/7 Help Desk: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 4:37 PM Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com>
wrote:

> Thanks a ton for the help!  It looks like between xymon config and RRD
> they're simply truncated and stripped of non alphanumeric characters.
> (example:  totalnumqueries_ip_ratelimited) This is in the RRD (:
>
> # rrdtool info unboundstats.rrd
> <snip>
> ds[totalnumqueries].last_ds = "109"
> ds[totalnumqueries].value = 8.4000000000e+00
> ds[totalnumqueries].unknown_sec = 0
> ds[*totalnumqueriesipra*].index = 1
> ds[totalnumqueriesipra].type = "DERIVE"
> ds[totalnumqueriesipra].minimal_heartbeat = 600
> <snip>
>
> My RRD are actually in /var/lib/xymon/rrd *NOT* /var/lib/xymon/data/rrd so
> they were actually being made. I was looking in the wrong place (guide
> doesn't match my RPM).
>
> Per the suggestion, I decided to split them using SPLITNCV.  Honestly I
> don't see why you wouldn't just do this from the get go, it's so much
> easier and better.
>
> [image: image.png]
>
> Josh Luthman
> 24/7 Help Desk: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373
>

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 7:11 AM Jeremy Laidman <jeremy at laidman.org> wrote:
>
>> A couple of things:
>>
>> * RRD has a DS name length limit of 19 characters, so some of your longer
>> names (numanswerrcodeSERVFAIL) are going to be truncated or possibly even
>> cause the whole lot to be rejected. Also, there's a restriction on
>> characters that can be used: [a-zA-Z0-9_]
>>
>> * In your webpage output you use numanswerrcodeSERVFAIL but in your NCV_
>> setting you have numanswerrcode.SERVFAIL (with a dot before SERVFAIL). I
>> suspect these have to be identical to work. Also, you can't use dots in DS
>> names as per the last point.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jeremy
>>
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 23:28, Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote a script that will pull out a few lines of unbound stats and
>>> that submission appears good.  I've got a green column by the host on the
>>> Xymon server.  The web page is showing this:
>>>
>>> totalnumqueries:51
>>> totalnumqueries_ip_ratelimited:0
>>> totalnumcachehits:22
>>> totalnumcachemiss:29