Running a custom test on multiple clients.

Gabby Gibbons gabby.gibbons at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 14:52:18 CET 2020

Hello, I am trying to figure out if there's a way to write a custom test on the xymon server and then run that test on each client as the client. I am aware of the ability to write a test on the server and then use XYMONGREP to run a test on each machine as the server, but the problem with that is, as far as I can tell, you can only run unauthenticated checks from the outside of the system. Say, for example, I want to monitor a log file using xymon on each client. If I were able to run the check on each system itself as the authenticated xymon user I could do that easily, but I wouldn't be able to view that file from the outside with another computer without first authenticating.
Right now my solution is to simply copy all of the custom tests I have to each monitored machine. This works, but the problem is that it's so decentralized. Every time I make a simple change to a script or want to add a new custom script I have to go to every single machine and make the same change. Being able to centralize this somewhat and have the clients all read from one source would make managing custom tests much much easier. Is this possible to do?