[Xymon] SNMP issue

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Thu Aug 13 01:53:17 CEST 2020

Hi Patrik

I can't say I've ever used 3COM switches. However, SNMP is designed to be
vendor-agnostic, so Xymon's implementation should work for all devices that
support SNMP, at least for basic information. Xymon's code uses a library
from the Net-SNMP suite, which is the most widely used free SNMP
implementation, and I would expect manufacturers would use this for
interoperability testing.

Do you have Xymon SNMP working with any devices that aren't 3COM?

Have you tried querying the 3COM switches using snmpget or snmpwalk?

The SNMP implementation in Xymon is not formally documented. It supports
SNMPv2c and, to a limited degree, SNMPv3. Many Xymon users have added the
"devmon" tool to perform SNMP monitoring, and report the results to Xymon.
However, devmon is no longer actively maintained, and also doesn't support
SNMPv3.

Cheers
Jeremy