[Xymon] Multiple xymon clients behind same IP

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Sat Aug 1 22:11:44 CEST 2020

On 7/29/2020 9:19 AM, vadud3 at gmail.com wrote:
> I have multiple xymon clients (multiple devices at home) and the xymon
> server is at cloud.
>
> The outgoing IP is same for all the xymon clients. How do I monitor them?

Damien's suggestion is one way.  And I do not think it's a bad way.

What I will generally do for hosts that cannot be accessed externally is
use 0.0.0.0 as the IP address in hosts.cfg.  I then add "noconn" and
maybe "CLIENT:host.example.com" to the config line.  The noconn is
because hosts behind NAT normally can't be pinged directly, and noconn
ensures that xymon will not try to ping it and mark the host down when
the ping fails.

If there are holes in the firewall to allow outside access, then a real
IP address and server-side tests like "ssh" MIGHT be appropriate, but in
most cases for firewalled hosts, those tests are not added.  The CLIENT
section allows things to work if the xymon client reports something
different as its hostname than what you have in hosts.cfg, which could
happen in the wild.  I do sometimes have "http" tests on these host
lines, because http tests are usually done with DNS lookups and don't
try to use the 0.0.0.0 address.

Thanks,
Shawn