[Xymon] Alternate devmon SNMP

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri May 10 13:13:27 CEST 2019

On 10/05/19 08:50, W.J.M. Nelis wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> As a long time user of devmon, I'd be fascinated to see an enumeration
>> of the bugs, features, patches etc in your repo.
>>
>> One of the biggest "bugs" I've seen, and I haven't had time to chase
>> it down is that over time devmon seems to leak memory like a sieve,
>> becoming quite bloated.  I run a cron job to kill (yes kill -9 ) and
>> restart it every four hours... Not under systemd.
>
> At NLR, devmon is running on a RHEL 6.10. There is a slight memory leak,
> probably in xymon or devmon, which requires a restart once every 2 or 3
> months. Normally, a kernel update is issued by RedHat well before the
> memory utilisation becomes an issue.

We have multiple xymon servers running with uptimes ranging from weeks
to months. One of them is running sinds june 2015!

If there is a memory increase, it's in xymon_rrd.
xymon_rrd uses 3.054.896K on that server that's running since 2015.

I sometimes kill all xymon_rrd processes if we are getting low on memory.

Stef