[Xymon] Updating ext scripts for use with Xymon WinPSClient

SebA spah at syntec.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 13:06:46 CET 2019

I've tried to run the winupd.vbs script with Xymon WinPSClient and it runs
fine having added the following to client-local.cfg:

external:slowscan:async:bb://winupd.vbs|SHA256|ab7fdf4a1cdb93d39eaad60748a9872ae9f224760a0ebb5ee4a79139865a0a9a

But it is not getting reported to the server because it is getting written
to root of C drive.

I can see the script is looking for where to write the output to, but it's
checking the Windows registry:

Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
' Check to see If used with BBWin or Big Brother client and set extPath.
extPath = oShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\BBWin\tmpPath")
If extPath = "" Then
    extPath = oShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Quest
Software\BigBrother\bbnt\ExternalPath\")
End If

Xymon WinPSClient doesn't write these registry keys.  I use the following
for backwards compatibility / consistency in it's xymonclient_config.xml,
but the script doesn't know that:

  <externaldatalocation>C:\BB\BBNT\Logs</externaldatalocation>

How should this (and potentially other) scripts be altered to work with the
WinPSClient?  I guess adding the registry key value is one solution, but is
there anything less dirty?

Kind regards,

SebA