[Xymon] good or bad html "tags" not showing in web page "msgs" report

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Sat Mar 14 03:10:57 CET 2015

On Fri, March 13, 2015 4:11 pm, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> I have a log entry that looks like this:
>
> [2015-03-02 13:32:43.011110] E
> [dht-linkfile.c:213:dht_linkfile_setattr_cbk] 0-mdfs-dht: setattr of
> uid/gid on /newscom/mdfs/ZUMA/zumaamericaseight/docs/364/090
> :<gfid:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000> failed (Invalid argument)
>

> This is in the gluster NFS log.  I wanted to stop getting alarms on this
> log entry, so I looked at what I get when I click on the red icon under
> "msgs" in my browser ... only that shows up like this (not exactly the
> same log entry, but the format is the same):
>
> .2015-03-13 22:48:18.447034] E
> [dht-linkfile.c:213:dht_linkfile_setattr_cbk] 0-mdfs-dht: setattr of
> uid/gid on /newscom/mdfs/IS/isphotos/docs/056/515 : failed (Invalid
> argument)
>
> The problem is that the browser interpreted the part starting with
> "<gfid:" and ending with ">" as an HTML tag, so it didn't display it.  I
> did not realize this was happening, so I built an "ignore" line for
> client-local.cfg that did not include that part, and I was really
> scratching my head as to why my ignore did not work.
>
> Would it be possible to automatically convert characters in log entries
> that are special to HTML into their HTML equivalents for display in a
> browser?  In this case, < would become < ... > would be %gt; ... and
> so on.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Shawn,

It would require a code change, however this would be possible.
Unfortunately, it would also prevent people from adding their own useable
HTML links into the content (which is either a feature or a bug, I
suppose)

That may specifically be a useful tradeoff in the case of log files, however.

Regards,

-jc