Re: [hobbit] IPv6

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Josh Luthman
<josh (at) imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:

Hmm.  Top-posting.  Must be a lawyer.

> Security through obscurity only works until it becomes main stream.  You
> still want to be proactive against SSH attacks (or whatever else).  Just
> because you moved down the street doesn't mean the thieves won't steal your
> lawn gnomes!

I haven't removed/downgraded any security I use, I just find it
refreshing not to be wading through the myriad entries in auth.log
showing 'ssh invalid user' and all.  I didn't expect this, it's just a
bene that my log files are less cluttered (by many hundred k per day).

> With IPv6 becoming more and more abundant I think it should be implemented
> but I don't find any use for it in my world (today!).

And that's your excuse for procrastinating?  Honestly, it's easier
than you think, but it will take time to implement.  Start soon,
really, you'll be glad you did.

I have a short story that presents a frightening scenario for
procrastinators which I hope does not come to pass, but I don't want
to find out the hard way that it's true.  Has to do with several ICAAN
board members that are very unhappy and annoyed that IPv6 adoption is
so slow and what they have discussed seriously to give folks a hard
shove (I wouldn't want to be standing on the ipv4-only ledge if any of
what I heard is true).

> Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373
>
> Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
> --- Henry Spencer

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
            - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto