Re: [hobbit] Moving to new Hobbit server

ZanDAhaR wrote:
If I do a uname -m they both say i686, uname -p one says unknown other says athlon. Should this be an issue ? Also if they are different enough will the graphs just not work or be corrupted or not update ? Can someone please assist me in how to import/export the rrd files then as I have never done that before. Been looking in the rrd docs but still not entirely sure what I need/want.

If there is a problem, you'll know real quick if you start the new server and there are errors in your rrd-data.log. It will report an error updating every file and say something about the file having been created on another architecture.

I did an rsync of everything and did some trial runs with the new server, saw those errors, and realized I had to convert.

It was something along the lines of using rrdtool dump, which makes xml files, rsyncing them over, then doing a rrdtool restore. I did two shell scripts, one on each server, and I just did the rsync command to copy only .xml. I don't have the first script, since that box got recycled, but the second one was still around.

1. Use a script to descend into the rrd directories for each host, and do a rrdtool dump for each .rrd file. That will make an xml file for each test for each host.

2. rsync the .xml files over.

3. Use a script to descend into the dirctories and usr rrdtool restore for each xml file to make an rrd file.

(My distro of rrdtool does not include rrddump, although the man pages refer to it. But rrdtool dump apparently does the same thing.)

Here's a sample script on the receiving end. Our host names end in .gov. I did it as root, so I had to add a chown in the script.

#!/bin/sh

RRDDIR="/opt/hobbit/data/rrd"

cd $RRDDIR

for HOST in *.gov