Re: [hobbit] Moving to new Hobbit server

David Pullman wrote:
I also had to do the export/import of rrd files when moving from RHEL4 on an i686 to RHEL 4 on a x86_64 processor type.

--David

Andy France wrote:

ZanDAhaR wrote on 28/02/2006 06:56:12 p.m.:

> Hey guys,
>
> Can't seem to find anything on this but then again I haven't gone
> through all the results that come up on the mailing list search either.
>
> We moved from BB server to a Hobbit server a while ago but it was on the
> same box so there was no issue there. We are shuffling some old hardware
> around and decided to give our hobbit server some more grunt and also
> add some other odd apps on it. We'll want to progrssively move the hosts
> over to the new server so the clients are cool, just update the ip in
> windows ones, and the ip and hostname in the nix ones
>
> As for the server I'm assuming I can just copy the data dir over for the
> host I'm moving. I cannot imagine there being anything server specific
> in any of the status messages or graphs ?

Watch out if you are changing OS/filesystem at all. Existing RRD files will need to be exported and imported rather copied if this is the case (I had to do this for a small-ish migration from Solaris x86 to Solaris Sparc).

> So action plan would be, shut down client on XYZ, define it in bb-hosts
> file on NEWHOBBIT, has it out in the OLDHOBBIT bb-hosts file, copy
> appropriate data folders from OLDHOBBIT to NEWHOBBIT (update ownership
> if need be), update ip addy and hostname in XYZ client settings, start
> client XYZ, be happy :)
>
> Any flaws in this thinking or suggestions of easier way even though I
> cannot imagine one can you please let me know
>
> Thanks
>
> Allan

Andy.

This email is intended for the person to whom it is addressed only. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy or use the contents in any way. The opinions expressed may not necessarily reflect those of ZESPRI Group of Companies ('ZESPRI').

While every effort has been made to verify the information
contained herein, ZESPRI does not make any representations
as to the accuracy of the information or to the performance
of any data, information or the products mentioned herein.
ZESPRI will not accept liability for any losses, damage or
consequence, however, resulting directly or indirectly from
the use of this e-mail/attachments.