[Xymon] journalctl support for RHEL/Alma Linux 9

Lists lists at benjamindsmith.com
Sun Dec 11 23:07:15 CET 2022

Hi everyone,

I've been introducing a few AlmaLinux 9 hosts into my monitored network. I'm happy to share my
build notes, so far, but specifically am wondering about "msgs" monitoring - it does not seem
that journalctl is supported?

Ben

EL9 install notes below

COMPILING: EL9 (CLIENT ONLY)
1) yum -y groupinstall "Development Tools"
 yum install pcre-devel
 useradd xymon
2) cd /usr/src
3) ./configure --client
 DON'T FORGET TO PUT IN THE RIGHT SERVER IP!!
4) ./make
5) tar -zcf xymon.client.not.installed.el9.tgz
6) scp xymon.client.not.installed.el9.tgz root at monitor:/var/www/html/.

INSTALLING CREATED CLIENT
1) Verify the hostname matches xymon server config
hostname # set as necessary:
hostnamectl set-hostname $HOSTNAME

2) Run the following
cd /usr/src # NOTE THE VERSION!!
wget http://monitor.effortlessis.com/xymon.client.not.installed.elVERSION.tgz
tar -zxvf xymon.client.not.installed.tgz
useradd xymon
yum install libtirpc libtirpc-devel
yum groupinstall "Development Tools" (if needed)
cd xymon-4.3.30
make install

3) Verify it works
su - xymon
xymon --debug # make sure it runs ok - WHAT DOES THIS DO?

4) yum groupremove "Development Tools" (if installed just for this)

./runclient.sh start # wait a few minutes
# see it on the server:
http://monitor.effortlessis.com/xymon/

run xymon directly to see it works. As user xymon on client

Useful
https://xymon.sourceforge.io/xymon/help/manpages/man1/xymon.1.html

4) Make it work via init.
cp -av /root/repo/xymon/xymond /etc/rc.d/init.d/xymond4)
ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/xymond /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99xymond;
cd /etc/rc.d/init.d;
chcon --reference=functions xymond
systemctl enable xymond;
systemctl start xymond;

4a) Make it work via systemctl ## not done yet

5) Common issues:
A) /var/log/messages
 chown root.xymon /var/log/messages;
 chmod g+r /var/log/messages
B) on xymon server, edit procs
C) SELinux error on start xymond via systemctl  ( ??? WTF IS THIS? )