[Xymon] no reports because of full root disk - workaround

Christoph Zechner zechner at vrvis.at
Fri Oct 22 09:47:30 CEST 2021

Hi,

a while ago, we encountered a rather annoying problem: if the root disk
of our Linux servers got full between two xymon checks, we were not
notified, because xymon was not able to report this, due to to remaining
space. It did not matter whether the machine was in xymon local mode or
not (we wanted to be sure).

We then found a workaround for this problem:

* creating a ramdisk (10 MB should suffice)
* mount it as /var/lib/xymon/temp (unlike "tmp" originally)
* change the tmp location in xymonclient.cfg
* restart xymon-client

This allows the system to send reports even if the root disk is
completely full and there's no need for repartitioning or adding other
disks.

Any thoughts about that? Are there any repercussions I did not think
about? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Christoph