[Xymon] Issues logging into Xymon after new install Ubuntu 16.04

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Tue Mar 2 00:17:11 CET 2021

Hi mdeal.

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 at 09:51, mdeal5 at juno.com <mdeal5 at juno.com> wrote:

> Folks, I'm a newbie to xymon and not the strongest linux user admittedly.

Welcome to Xymon.

> I've gone through the available documentation that I've been able to
> locate and I am completely stumped and stuck.  No matter what I do, I get
> an error 403 when I try to access the Xymon server page.

A 403 error means forbidden. This could be due to several things, such as
the user that Apache runs as, does not have access to the directory where
the Xymon web pages are stored. Or it could be a restriction configured
within Apache.

> So.  My first question.  Do I have to access the Xymon web page from the
> local host or can I access it from a web browser on another host?

Typically, you don't need to be on the host that runs Apache.

If I can access it from a browser on a different machine, what steps do I
> need to take to diagnose why I can't access the webpages?

I'd be taking a look at the web server error logs. Often it will provide a
bit more information about why the 403 error was given.

>From what I can determine, the Xymon service is active and running.  I've
> started, stopped, and restarted them multiple times using sudo service
> xymon <command>.
>
> ps afx | grep hobbit  yields

Try replacing "hobbit" with "xymon":

ps afx | grep xymon

> I've restarted apache2 services in a similar fashion after changing Allow
> from localhost to Allow from all.  Still nothing.
>
> I've seen a few threads with similar questions, but none of them have been
> very helpful and I can't figure out anything else to do.
>
> Where do I start to unravel this particular gordian knot?  And I apologize
> for being long winded.

This seems to be an Apache problem rather than a Xymon problem. To make
sure the Xymon part is working, take a look at the Xymon "www" directory to
see if there's a new index.html file there. If there is, then Xymon is
working fine, and your only problem is getting that file displayed in your
browser.

The Xymon "www" directory is located somewhere like
/usr/lib/xymon/server/www/, or ~xymon/server/www (where ~xymon expands to
the xymon user's home directory). So for example:

ls -l ~xymon/server/www/

Or you should be able to find the directory name with:

xymoncmd echo '$XYMONWWWDIR'

and list its contents with:

xymoncmd ls -l '$XYMONWWWDIR'/

(the trailing slash is required for systems, such as mine, where the
directory is actually a symbolic link)

Cheers
Jeremy