[Xymon] Xymon project status: let us know

Bruno Manzoni bruno.manzoni at ubi-network.ch
Wed Aug 18 18:00:35 CEST 2021

Hi all,

As I am the current maintainer of the Devmon version on GitHub
(https://github.com/bonomani/devmon), just want to tell you that I am ok
with your comments on Devmon and give you my own comments:

- Also the Devmon fellow project (which AFAIK shares the main developer
with Xymon) would need some clarifying words, and merging the efforts
instead of forking the project would be a better choice for all xymon
users. (Mario De Chenno)
- With devmon persisting so long, there's absolutely a case (in my mind)
for closer tying into the core. (Japheth Cleaver)

Just for the history: I forked Devmon in 2016 because the project seemed
dead (the download version on Sourceforge dates from 2009 and a lot of
patches were pending). First, I did it for fun (It is a pleasure to work
on a "clever" software) and just for my personal needs. I have included
many patches from sourceforge and have improved it in my own way. Some
of you have encouraged me to do this, others have not. Later I contacted
the main developer. Unfortunately, this didn't bring anything concrete.

Today, AFAIK no development has been carried out on the Sourceforge
version for many years, it seems to me that no one is working on it
anymore, which I find very unfortunate. No one contacted me to tell me
to stop. As nothing is happening, I decided to go ahead.

This month, I provide an important feature that Devmon lacked: SNMPv3.
If this can also help Xymon, I would be very happy.

I have no conflict with the old Devmon team (or anyone else) and I am
open to any collaboration with everyone.

In my side I will be very interested in including Devmon in Xymon and to
have a better visibility, as this can help Devmon to have more feedback
to improve it.

Kind regards
Bruno