[Xymon] Terabithia or compile

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Jun 18 02:38:06 CEST 2020

On Wed, 2020-06-17 at 15:44 -0800, John Thurston wrote:
> Ahh, the age-old question . .
>
> Last time I installed a xymon server, it was on Solaris and I compiled
> from source. I now need to deploy a new server on linux (specifically
> CentOS).
>
> What say ye?
> A) yum install from Terabithia
> B) make from source

Hi,

I used to build from source, but for our CentOS 7 and 8 servers I have been
using the Terabithia RPMs with no problems. The downside is that, like Malcolm
Hunter mentioned, I have subsequently applied some local patches - sent to the
list - so that meant rebuilding the RPMs.

I would say if you use the stock code, then the RPMs are trivial to install
rather than building from source. If you have local mods then it's up to you -
build from source or rebuild the RPMs.
Either way you have to rebuild something :-)

At the moment I'm keeping an eye on the 'Terabithia RPMs still active?' thread,
since it may of course mean reverting to building from source. Although the
question may be modified to how much is the source on sourceforge being updated
anyway?

John.

--
John Horne | Senior Operations Analyst | Technology and Information Services
University of Plymouth | Drake Circus | Plymouth | Devon | PL4 8AA | UK

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, University of Plymouth accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. University of Plymouth does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.