[Xymon] Xymon send email using Mail command with -r problem.

Alex Tang bear410hk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 03:51:56 CET 2020

Hi All,

I had a Xymon server need send email with a special sender email address,
because of mail server had limitation sender must be company email domain (
xxxx at abc.com) if I need send email to external email such as gmail or SMS
service. I had added Xymon XXXX at abc.com in Sendmail genericstable but not
working. Also, I had tried to rename the hostname from
xymonserver.localdomain.com to xymonserver.abc.com it works, but we cannot
change the hostname it will make the other problem.

I can't use -r in Alert.cfg, for example : MAIL -r alex. at abc.com
alexalex at extenalweb.com SERVICE=uptime,conn

it will not send out and Xymon alert.log shows below error

mail: option requires an argument -- r

Usage: mail -eiIUdEFntBDNHRVv~ -T FILE -u USER -h hops -r address -s
SUBJECT -a FILE -q FILE -f FILE -A ACCOUNT -b USERS -c USERS -S OPTION users

so, I tried to change x=xymonserver.cfg but not working, I added -r in
Mail="$MAILC -s"

# For the xymond_alert module

MAILC="mail"                            # Command used to send an e-mail
with no subject

MAIL="$MAILC -r -s"                     # Command used to send an e-mail
with a subject

may I know the setting of xymonserver.cfg to allow MAIL Command to use -r
in Xymon alert.cfg?

P.S: I can use mail -r to send out email in centos 7.

Xymon 4.3.28

thanks all

Alex