[Xymon] Xymon on the Cloud

Michael T Pins mtpins at nndev.org
Tue Mar 26 01:00:39 CET 2019

Matthew Gregory writes:

>I am looking at deploying Xymon, through the Google Cloud Compute service, I
>sadly have no space for a physical server and was wondering if can Zymon
>can run on an low amount of ram and CPU.

It really depends upon what you're doing with it. (How many servers, how
many tests, and how much of that is server-side).  Even when monitoring
non-trivial networks, the amount of CPU and memory needed tends to be
rather low.  I've monitored networks of 2000 boxes on a server with a pair
of dual-core, 1.6 GHz Xeon's.  What you do need, when you scale up to those
numbers, is a non-trivial amount of disk-I/O.  Keeping 10,000+ RRD files
updated takes some bandwidth.  On the other hand, if you're only monitoring
a dozen servers, you can run the xymon server on most anything you have
available.

--
Michael T Pins              |  "There was a point in time when the
mtpins at nndev.org            |  Macintosh crashed an awful lot more