[Xymon] RES: Is the xymon Dead? Future

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Tue Mar 12 13:33:25 CET 2019

Hi J.C.,

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:09:29PM -0700, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> The primary issue for me since then has been having access to
> sufficiently high-throughput performance and load testing, which had
> been a significant aspect of the feature and dev cycle. I'd been
> hesitant to release further absent a true shakedown of the new code,
> however that was /never/ intended to be an indication of lack of
> interest in the project.

Thanks for that insight!

>    And I'm still hoping for TLS support in the client.

+1 despite my workaround works as reliable as stunnel's startup
scripts — i.e. not perfect, but does the job. And gets purple if
stunnel restart fails. :-)

> Knowing that there is still actually a demand for IPv6 is helpful.

Definitely.

In Debian's hobbit-plugins package there is already a server-side
conn6 check which uses the hostname in hosts.cfg and makes a AAAA
lookup to see what it needs to ping. So I can cope with the conn check
being IPv4-only.

But what is wishfully needed is the IPv6 support for the xymonnet
tests.

> Simply put, what's most needed right now is a potentially large
> testbed for testing and validation of the code we have.

Unfortunately due to a job change 2.5 years ago, the Xymon setups I
maintain now are no more at the size of nearly a thousand hosts, just
two setups with two or three dozens monitored hosts each.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe at deuxchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet