[Xymon] RES: Is the xymon Dead? Future

SebA spah at syntec.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 13:19:14 CET 2019

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 05:09, Japheth Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org>
wrote:

> Knowing that there is still actually a demand for IPv6 is helpful. Simply
> put, what's most needed right now is a potentially large testbed for
> testing and validation of the code we have.
>
> Regards,
> -jc

Hi jc,

It might be helpful if you or someone commit ToDo and TESTING files in the
4.x-master branch describing what is broken, what work is partially
implemented, what the roadmap might look like (maybe in a different file),
and exactly what testing needs to be done (in such a way that anyone could
look at the test plan and say, 'OK, I'll try and complete that') before
features are considered worthy of pushing into a stable branch, or before a
4.4 branch can be branched and considered as beta or stable.

I don't think this knowledge is widely known, and the first step towards
getting it done is probably to verbalize what it is that needs doing.  Then
perhaps people will pick up a particular test case and run through it and
that one can be ticked off.  A way of tracking these, e.g. in a 'bug'
tracker may be helpful, so that they can provide evidence of the test.
Redmine might be larger than what's required, but it does seem quite good
for progressing projects, with the ability to see what needs to be done for
each release.

The thing is that, with SVN especially, not so much if Xymon was using Git,
it's very easy for planned or even developed features to get stuck behind
other features pending testing in the pipeline.  What I mean is that even
if there was no demand for IPv6, we would want to get that out of the door
so that we can move on to progressing other features (without ditching all
the work that has already been done), as merging branches can be tricky or
time consuming.

Kind regards,

SebA