[Xymon] RES: Is the xymon Dead? Future

SebA spah at syntec.co.uk
Fri Mar 8 13:09:30 CET 2019

 The lack of releases (and commits - there are commits after the last
release, but only 2) on the *nix side is concerning.  IPv6 support may have
been something that people thought would be needed, and then wasn't so much
in demand, but I think that demand would be there if Xymon had good support
for Docker container monitoring.  With the increasing use of Docker, Xymon
needs to be able monitor Docker containers or it will die a slow death (and
it may already be too late).

Many years ago, I pushed for Xymon to be moved from VCS to SVN to promote
community contributions.  Git, specifically GitHub, has replaced SVN as the
best thing to promote community contributions, and I think it would be
beneficial if the official Xymon code repos are migrated to GitHub.  (There
is an unofficial sync project to sync a lot of SVN projects to GitHub but
the project has recently closed: https://github.com/svn2github/xymon)

Kind regards,

SebA