[Xymon] WordPress Monitoring

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 28 19:16:54 CEST 2019

On 28/04/2019 14:08, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> And you could write a server-side test that
> performed a simple interaction via http or https and inspected the
> result more deeply than just the success of something (not an HTTP error
> code) being returned.

The in-built http(s) test can also check the content of a specific page.
For my use case, I check the page contains one of the css classes
generated by the CMS, which I interpet as confirmation that not only is
there something responding with HTTP 200, but the CMS is generating
"sane" HTML. There are some other possibilities for the HTTP test too:

http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html#lbAR

and so the relevant lines in my hosts.cfg for what I described above are
e.g.

1.2.3.4 www.example.com # cont;https://www.example.com/;"my-css-class"

Adam