[Xymon] MRTG graphs are in bytes instead of bits

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Fri Apr 26 01:50:49 CEST 2019

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 09:30, Stephen Carville (xymon list) <
scarville at lereta.com> wrote:

> On 4/25/19 3:58 PM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> >
> > Stephen, not sure what this has to do with Xymon.
>
> I followed the instructions here:
>
> http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/xymon-mrtg.html

Ah, it was news to me that this even existed! (Or maybe I just forgot.)

>From that it looks to me like mrtg gathers the data, puts in in the rrd
> file, then XYMon invokes rrdtool to create the graphs.

Yep, that's how I read it too.

  I was hoping
> there was something I overlooked -- and someone else can see -- in the
> config that would explain the difference.

Nothing stands out to me. However, it's been over a decade since I did
anything with MRTG.

Not really a big deal.  It may be better to just divorce mrtg and XYMon.
>  Or I could rewrite the "broken" parts of cricket so it works on a 64
> bits.  I just liked the idea of it all being in one place.

Agreed - it's annoying having all your data in different places.

First, I would check the RRD file contents (rrdtool fetch yada yada) to see
if the numbers look like those from Cricket data. If they don't match, then
MRTG probably needs a tweak.

Also check that the RRD file shows the values as COUNTER or DERIVE (rrdtool
info).

It would seem that showgraph uses an [mrtg] section in graphs.cfg to
determine how to display network traffic. This configuration causes data
from the RRD file to be fetched, then multiplied by 8, to turn it into
bits. This all seems fine, and should produce the desired results, as long
as the RRD data is stored in bytes.